Thursday, May 2, 2013

App-solutely Necessary

If you're an SNL fan, you're no stranger to "Drunk Uncle." One of my favorite Drunk Uncle skits involves a rant about technology today:


Hysterical! While Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and blog apps are all highly used on my devices, I thought it would be fun to share with you some of my "not so well known" but favorite apps.


Bible- If you haven't downloaded this app, do it now. Bible has hundreds of  daily devotional plans to choose from with new ones added everyday. This app makes is simple to squeeze in time during those "unused minutes" in your day.  I have particularly enjoyed the seasonal plans and using the bookmark feature for saving important verses. You may have even seen me share my daily verse on Twitter. If you're looking for a way to have more time for your relationship with Christ, this is a must!

Photoshop Express- If you're an avid Instagrammer or just like to share great photos, this app is for you. The fact that this is free makes it a no-brainer. The features help you balance lighting, exposure, shadows and more to transform an average smart phone photo into something fabulous. 

Sky Scanner- I recently discovered this app and have to say, I will never book another flight without it. Sky Scanner surfs the current fares across all available online flights and shares them in a search-able list based on cost, departure and arrival times. The great thing about Sky Scanner is the ability to search nearby airports with the click of a button. Trying to determine which airport to fly in or out of, no problem. This app allows for multiple search windows at a time! if you are looking for reasonable airfares, Sky Scanner is for you.

TED Talks- If you haven't heard of TED Talks yet, TED is a global set of conferences ranging from technology, to entertainment and design that are broadcast via online video and mobile app. I've really enjoy searching the TED Talks app for interesting content on long drives or downtime. Think interesting stories 24-7. Let TED talks speak to your mind. It's fascinating.

Voxer- Hearing my friends voices is exactly what I need on long days. While I might not always have the time to devote to an entire phone conversation, Voxer let's me spend a minute or so of my time communicating walkie-talkie style with my friends. Essentially voice text messaging. Sometimes it is exactly what I need.

Lemon Wallet- Don't you hate when you might be filling out paperwork or need to quickly reference a card that might be in your wallet in the car or downstairs? Lemon Wallet is a secure visual of the front and back of cards you photograph and store in a "digital wallet." It's fabulous for those moments when all you have is your phone in hand.






It's crazy to think how many apps are still out here I haven't learned about! What are some of your favorite apps?

Until next time, may your day be full of magnolias, bourbon and life changing apps!


1 comment: