Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Joy of Creation

Spring has sprung and pollen is filling the air! I am excited to hear the birds chirping,  see flowers blooming and watch the earth come back to life. With the scent of fresh onion looming in the air and fresh fruit showing up at the grocery, nothing more is on my mind than the thought of planting a garden! I've never had the chance to have my own garden, but the more I read about harmful pesticides being used on our produce, the greater my desire to start digging.

If I had a yard, which I don't (sigh), I would plant tomatoes, sweet corn, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, pumpkin, strawberries, basil, spinach and peppers.

I think the most important part of gardening is properly planning. It is important to find out what grows best in your area. If you live in Vermont, you may not want to grow bananas. Living in the South gives me a good variety of growing options. According to Garden.org, I am in the Middle South Region for growing. This gives me about 200 days of ideal growing conditions. Woo!

When I finally get the chance to plant, I want to make sure that I space all of my vegetables properly so I will have ample space to move back and forth. So often, I see vegetables that are stuffed in plot like sardines! Maybe it works, but I would prefer not to feel cramped in tending to the various plants.

Because I've not really had the chance to garden, I don't know much. I do, however, LOVE reading about getting started as well as seeing BEAUTIFUL inspiration. If you feel inspired to start your own vegetable garden, here is a great place to start.

I can't think of a better use of time than enjoying mother nature and growing something from a tiny seed. The hard work and effort are sure to payoff!

Check out some of my favorite ideas below!

Until next time, may your day be full of magnolias, bourbon, and the scent of fresh flowers! 


Raised Bed Vegetable Garden



No comments:

Post a Comment