Thursday, March 17, 2011

For Japan with Love

As time passes and more images are released of the horrendous disaster that continues to unfold in Japan, my heart feels heavy with sadness and despair. I realize that as often as I pray, it is still not enough. While we each have a unique tie to certain places in the world, I feel particularly saddened by the devastation because I was born in Japan-Yokosuka, Japan to be exact. Yokosuka is a mere 270 miles from Sendai-the city most affected by the earthquake and tsunami.


 I've not had the opportunity to travel back to Japan, but will continue to pray and support the Japanese people as they risk their lives to protect ours from a nuclear meltdown and continue to clean-up their country side and regain a sense of normalcy. In an effort to do so, tomorrow I will be teaming up with Utterly Engaged  and Ever Ours to participate in Bloggers Day of Silence. I will not be posting any blogs tomorrow to help raise awareness of the fact that we CAN do something to help. For Japan with Love is a website setup to accept donations for ShelterBox.


ShelterBox provides emergency shelter and lifesaving supplies for families around the world who are affected by disasters at the time they need it the most. Large green boxes "ShelterBoxes" are put to together and tailored to a specific disaster (in this case, an earthquake/tsunami). A typical box contains a disaster relief tent for an extended family, blankets, water storage and purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, a basic tool kit, a children's activity pack and other vital items. One box costs $1,000.00. As of 10:05 p.m, nearly $21,000 has been raised. Please do what you can to help. I realize, and understand, that we sometimes feel like we can't do much, but in this instance you can. EVERY PENNY HELPS. Even $1.00.

Close your eyes and put yourself in the shoes of those facing this horrible disaster. I can only imagine that I would be TREMENDOUSLY grateful to receive items allowing me to provide my family a dry place to sleep or a small drink of clean water. 

Tomorrow, I will be making a donation to For Japan with Love. I ask that you take the time to visit the website and explore how you can help with your donation. Additionally, I ask for continued prayer for the Japanese people and their leaders as they continue to pick through the pieces of a life they use to know. Prayer is powerful. Please, let's continue to do our part.

Until next time, may your weekend be filled with magnolias, bourbon and continued prayer for the country of Japan and all who are still being affected by this awful natural disaster. 






No comments:

Post a Comment